Thursday 26 February 2015

Moment of Weakness


Physical strength has been tested by mankind for so many years. People have scaled the highest mountains and braved desert storms. Most of them come back alive with a great story to tell. These are without doubt very heroic acts.
The everyday mundane things in life can however sap the energy from you. You turn to the left and the dishes are not done so you do them. The house is suddenly dirty and you mop it nice and clean. It’s almost lunch time and the kids have to eat so you get that started. It’s nap time soon after and there’s more dishes (guys just had lunch, remember?). You have your work (aside from housework that is) and everyone seems to be calling you at the same time.
You may start out with all the zeal you can muster but as time goes by, you just find yourself for a moment (or four) wishing that you could just curl up and block the world out. I mean literally just take a pair of ear plugs or better yet, put the world on pause AND mute (just in case) so that you can take a deep long breath without anyone interrupting it.
Being a parent and a homemaker is really fulfilling but is oh so draining! I have had moments when I just wanted to give my son to someone, anyone really, just so I could have a few moments to myself. I imagine all the things I could do with such time like write that 1000-word article, replace the curtains without anyone pulling on them, watch that movie or series that is gathering dust somewhere in the house and even get myself a nice cold soda to sip slowly (it really is that serious).
I recently got such a chance and boy was I shocked! I did a little catching up with my work, got myself ice-cream and then started on that movie. I didn’t get too far though. My eyes suddenly became heavy and the sugar from the ice-cream did nothing to wake me up. I got myself a good 3 hours of sleep and the day seemed sunny again!
Now I know I was really tired and just needed the break. I thought I was going to start crying and slip into a minor depression of sorts because only God knows how bad it was. Nothing seems to get done or rather, you keep doing everything but it just doesn’t end!
Many people (whether male, female, parents or not) go through such phases. Instead of toning it down a bit you work yourself like a horse and as though it’ll reverse the effects of global warming. It’s never that serious (unless your work touches on said subject).

Take a breather, treat yourself to some rest and just smell the flowers. Don’t let life pass you by in a blur. Live as hard as you work. Don’t give room for depression to set in because it takes a lot more than a little fun or break to pull yourself out of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment