Sunday 1 March 2015

In The Shadow of the Almighty



I think by now you’ve realized that I’m a Christian and a staunch one at that. My life is governed by the Bible and my steps are ordered by the Lord. Some may wonder why I choose to remain steadfast in my beliefs considering my history. Let me give you a bit of it.
I was born into a Muslim family. Well, at least my dad is a Muslim. Children take after their dad’s religion and tribe in our African culture so we were Muslims. I did a little of the Islamic school (Madrassa) but I wouldn’t say it was substantial. Then I went to schools that were predominantly Christian even though the Muslims were given their space, so to speak.
I got born again in High School and it’s still very vivid in my mind. It was powerful. Like any other new believer I had my struggles and wrong perceptions. You think that the Lord wants you perfect and so you beat yourself up whenever you mess up. I had so many of those! I have grown over the years and have established an actual relationship with this God.
Relationship?
When in a relationship with someone you want to communicate with them and you do so at a different level. It’s not like talking to a casual acquaintance. The Lord has indeed become my salvation such that I run to Him whenever I’m scared, overjoyed, worried or even angry. He always listens and always gives me something to walk away with.  
Those who know me well know that I’ve had quite a number of ups and downs in my short life (I’m still young after all!) but God has pulled me out every single time. He has guided me through the roughest of storms and darkest of days. He has held my hand and let me cry my eyeballs out when I needed it. He has interpreted my tears when I didn’t have the right words to express my hurt or fear and turned it around to peace, joy and renewed strength and confidence.
Protection
The thing I am most grateful for today is protection. He has saved me from myself when I was sinking deeper and deeper into sin. He has kept me under His wing and shielded me from so many adversaries. He has made me whole again when it seemed like the only logical next step was to disintegrate.
It didn’t end with me though. He has kept my son in one piece as well. I didn’t have a troubled pregnancy, my son wasn’t sickly as a baby or toddler and even now as a pre-schooler. Come to think of it, it’s been a while since he even had the sniffles! (Let’s keep it that way, no, Papa?) He has kept him healthy and even healed him of a congenital condition (story for another day).
My son was recently hit by a moving bicycle. The cut on his forehead was deep and I knew it needed stitches as soon as I saw it. When we got to hospital the doctor asked me to explain what exactly happened and she was amazed. She said it could have been worse considering the other injuries he sustained were just bruises on his elbow that just needed cleaning. All I could think was “Jesus, thank you for saving my son”.
He had no pain throughout the week after getting stitched up and everyone was wondering how on earth he could afford to keep playing when he had a large bandage on his forehead. The stitches are out now and it has closed up completely. It looks as though someone had scratched him and not ripped his forehead open.
It may seem like a minor thing to some but I assure you to me it’s not. Ask the ones who saw me when I saw my son’s bleeding face (you remember I’m not so good around blood). I am more convinced of His love for me and mine. I know that under His shadow I will lack nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment