Friday 19 February 2016

Love Always Protects, Always Trusts, Always Hopes, Always Perseveres



So Valentine’s Day came and went! I was so beat that day I couldn’t even have handled a date. But I don’t remember the last time I went for a date on Valentine’s Day so we’re good, right? I’m sticking to that story! I hope you enjoyed it though! Now, today’s post.
 I’m the ferocious kind of mother, you know, like a lion protecting her cub or better yet, a hen protecting her chicks (we had a fierce hen when we were growing up so this is a very good example for me. She fought crows this hen!). Nobody touches my son and I remain silent. Nobody makes choices for my son that I don’t approve or approve of.
That reminds me of a conversation I had with my mum and sisters when I was home for New Year’s celebrations. My mum’s been asking me to get my son circumcised since he was a toddler (or was it at birth?) and a few weeks before that conversation my dad had revived that issue in my absence. And once again I reiterated my position on this subject (which is obvious considering we were having that conversation for the twentieth time or so). At least I had the support of one of my sisters (you rock Aunty Thelma!) but all the others were on mum’s team. I don’t hold it against anyone though because we have differing ideas and ideologies on many things and I’ve made peace with that.
There are times when people have tried to harm my son (and sometimes it was perceived but you can never be too careful, no?) and they saw me in a different light. Let’s just say, many people know not to mess with that little boy. And he knows I’m there to protect him so if anyone crosses his path he won’t hesitate to come to me. He also knows I'll spank the black off of him if he is the one on the wrong. Just saying!
Unconditional
My relationship with Christ has been an interesting one over the years. I’ve been in trouble so many times for my choices and decisions but He still stuck by me. I got pregnant out of wedlock but he gave me a smooth pregnancy and safe delivery and a handsome healthy baby. He stopped a matatu just in time to prevent a head-on collision with a motorbike I was on (the bumpers almost touched). He kept me safe on roads about which you would hear gory incidents almost every day.
I’ve made many mistakes but He still continues to lift me higher, to increase me, to answer my prayers, to love me. I’m very sure that anyone who wants to cause drama or chaos in my life really has it rough because my God fights for me. Sometimes I don’t even know what’s going on until much later. It doesn’t matter what I’ve done or not done because it’s all hinged on His love for me, not my actions.
Love inspires love
That doesn’t mean I keep messing up intentionally. I try to live right and make my God proud, just like my son tries to do things right to make me smile and compliment and appreciate him and his efforts. You see, the fact that I know God will keep loving, trusting and protecting me and that His love will not waver even when I’m being stupid gives me more zeal to love Him more. Same happens with human relationships.
When you know that someone will love you through the chaos of your life you love that person even more. That maintains the supply of love to each person in that relationship. When you choose to love someone (love is indeed a choice), love them knowing that they will fail you sometimes, they will annoy you, they will hurt you. But your love for them will stir up something in them that wants to reciprocate how you make them feel. And then that changes a person and gradually transforms them into a better soul. I’m proof of that.
Love fiercely, always protecting, trusting, persevering and hoping for the best. Don’t let the negativity and chaos blind you to the treasure that lies in the other person.       




No comments:

Post a Comment