Thursday 6 August 2015

It is not Self-Seeking


Imagine this for a moment. You work hard to make sure that you always have the best of everything. Your life is comfortable, your heart is content and nobody crosses your path because they know not to mess with you. That’s an awesome life, isn’t it? Things always go your way and according to your preference.
Now imagine if someone else always made sure that things work to your advantage. They make sure you eat what is best for you, make sure you are comfortable and nothing (or at least not too much) gets to the point where it drastically affects you. Isn’t that better? Even easier perhaps?
Difficult task
Have you noticed that the more you ‘look out for yourself’ the more difficult it becomes? That you seem to be doing a lot of work but the results at the end are not quite worth the input you gave? Just take a close look at it all and be honest with yourself as to what you find out.
It can be very difficult to trust someone else to make you happy and look out for you, especially if you’ve been disappointed (as many of us have) but that’s one of the aspects of love. You make sure that the other person in the equation is sorted. You take care of their needs first and not yours. If done wholeheartedly and willingly, the outcome is usually favourable to you.
Crazy nights
As a mother (I still haven’t gotten used to saying this even after 6 years!) I have done things that many would consider unusual. I have woken up at odd hours of the night (and many times never even went to bed!) just to make sure that my son was comfortable. Colic in the first few months of his life, some congenital condition he had a few months later, crazy fevers on other nights and on other nights he just wanted to play because he had slept too much in the afternoon.
There are times I have sacrificed my food because there was just enough to feed one. I have forgone buying myself that new pair of shoes (that I badly needed) or getting my hair done just so that I could buy him school books. It was painful at the time but later on it felt great (well, the hunger eventually subsided since I serve a God that always provides). He goes to school and is able to comfortably read as the teacher goes on and I feel great. The teacher commends him for his good work and he comes back to me all smiles saying, ‘mummy you’re the best!’ and that’s enough payback!
Favours returned and more
He makes sure there’s two plates on the table when we’re about to eat. Whenever we buy anything he asks whether I’ve bought enough for both of us. If not, he’ll share. Sometimes he just wants to eat alone but well, don’t we all have such moments? He makes sure my toothbrush has toothpaste when he’s going to brush his teeth and reminds me (even though I may not need it) to brush my teeth every morning.
If anyone jokes about taking his mum away he lets them know that she isn’t going anywhere and neither is he. He is really young but very loyal this boy! I don’t always give him what he wants (or even needs) but the little I do goes a long way and I feel the love.
Now imagine if that was an adult responding to the genuine love, care and selflessness you have shown them. How much more would it be? Humans are wired to respond to such and even the toughest will respond to genuine selflessness. Do it without expecting anything in return but be assured that the returns will indeed be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment